Achieve peak coziness with this healthy-yet-luxurious mushroom and brie pizza. Not only is it delicious, but it's also a great excuse to treat yourself to a wedge of "fancy" cheese.
I love the geometric pattern that emerges on this brie pizza when the cheese melts into the mushrooms, leaving behind the almost-rectangles of rind. And the flavor. And the incredible smell as it bakes. This beauty is full of earthy flavor and nutrients, makes for a meatless meal, and will fill your home with an aroma as comforting as a warm blanket on a cold day (as long as you're a fan of mushrooms, of course).
Mushroom and Brie Pizza
- Large rimmed baking sheet or baking stone/steel
- Pizza peel (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 10 ounces cremini or baby bella mushrooms stemmed and sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ball pizza dough
- 4 ounces brie cheese (or up to 6 ounces), cut into very thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (if using a baking sheet) or as high as it will go (if using a baking stone/steel; place the stone/steel in the oven before you start preheating).
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot, cook for a few minutes, just until it softens, then add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, just until the mushrooms release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- If you're using a baking stone/steel, turn the oven to Broil on high.
- Stretch or roll out your dough to a 12-inch circle, then transfer it to an oiled baking sheet or a lightly floured pizza peel (if using a baking stone/steel).
- Top the dough with the mushrooms, spreading them out in an even layer, then add the cheese. Season with a pinch of salt and a grind or two of pepper.
- Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake until the crust is golden and the cheese has browned in spots—8 to 10 minutes on the baking sheet, 6 to 8 minutes on the baking stone/steel.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, then sprinkle with the parsley. Slice and serve.