Loaded Beef Taco Pizza
Load up this cheesy beef taco pizza with all your favorite toppings, such as pickled jalapeño slices, olives, salsa, shredded carrots and/or lettuce, hot sauce, and sour cream.
Makes: 1 (12- to 14-inch) pizza
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing the dough
- ½ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning blend
- ½ pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) ball pizza dough
- 4 to 6 ounces yellow cheddar cheese, shredded
- Your favorite taco toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, sliced scallions, sliced black olives, pickled jalapeños, diced avocado, salsa, and sour cream
Preheat the oven to 500°F (if using a baking sheet) or as high as it will go (if using a baking stone/steel; place the stone/steel in the bottom third of the oven before you start preheating). Let the oven preheat for at least 30 minutes. Then, if you’re using a baking stone or steel, switch the oven to Broil on high.
Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion has softened, 5 to 7 minutes, then add the tomato paste and taco seasoning. Stir well and cook for 1 minute, or until the tomato paste darkens a bit and the spices are fragrant. Add the ground meat to the skillet and cook for 7 to 9 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it's browned and cooked all the way through. Taste and season with salt.
Stretch or roll out your dough to a 12- to 14-inch circle, then transfer it to an oiled or parchment-lined baking sheet or a lightly floured pizza peel (if using a baking stone/steel).
Brush the dough lightly with olive oil, making sure to get all the way to the edges. Scoop the cooked meat onto the dough and spread it out evenly, then top with the cheddar cheese.
Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake until the crust is golden and the cheese has browned in spots—8 to 10 minutes on the baking sheet, 6 to 8 minutes on the baking stone/steel.
Remove the pizza from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes, then slice and serve with your favorite taco toppings.