You'd think winter pizzas would be the dullest of the bunch, with only root vegetables, onions, and dark leafy greens to choose from in the seasonal produce department. But, as it turns out, this time of year has inspired some of my best work on Thursday Night Pizza. Want something zippy and bright to counteract all those cookies you've been eating? Try Borscht Pizza, or Sweet Potato with Red Onion, Prosciutto, and Kale. Trying to keep that cozy vibe alive? Sink into Truffled Mac and Cheese, Collards and Sausage, or French Onion. Need a game-day (or New Year's Day parade) nosh? Nothing's better than Buffalo Cauliflower Pizza, French Dip, or Butternut Squash Chili.
Those resolutions can wait (unless yours is to eat more pizza). Click below for the recipes, and prepare to be amazed by the vibrant flavors of winter pizzas! Happy New Year!
1. BORSCHT PIZZA (WITH BEET PUREE, HORSERADISH-YOGURT SAUCE, AND DILL)
2. SWEET POTATO PIZZA WITH RED ONION, PROSCIUTTO, KALE, CHEDDAR, AND PINE NUTS
3. TRUFFLED MAC AND CHEESE PIZZA (SORRY NOT SORRY!)
4. BUTTERNUT SQUASH CHILI PIZZA (WITH BLACK BEANS, CORN & CHEDDAR)
5. FRENCH ONION PIZZA (WITH BOOZY CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND GRUYÈRE)
6. LUCKY COLLARDS AND SAUSAGE PIZZA (WITH CREAM AND PARMESAN CHEESE)
7. BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER PIZZA WITH BLUE CHEESE
8. FRENCH DIP PIZZA (WITH HORSERADISH AIOLI, BEEF, PROVOLONE & AU JUS)