Barbecue Pizza Sauce is one of the most frequently referenced recipes on this blog. It makes waaaaaaay more than you need for one pizza—about 5 cups!—but you'll see why once you taste it. With a less sugary and more tomato-y flavor than traditional barbecue sauces, it's a versatile flavor enhancer for everything from grilled meats to sandwiches and even pasta. This BBQ Bacon pizza is one of my favorite ways to use the sauce, topped with thick-cut bacon and a few of my favorite summer veggies.
Try whatever leftover grilled meats you have on hand, and swap in zucchini, green beans, and/or eggplant. For heat, add chopped fresh chiles. For creaminess, add sliced avocado after baking. BBQ Bacon Pizza is just the beginning!
BBQ Bacon Pizza with Corn and Green Pepper
- 4 or 5 slices thick-cut smoked bacon chopped
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) ball pizza dough
- 3/4 cup Barbecue Pizza Sauce (or your favorite store-bought barbecue sauce)
- 1 ear sweet corn kernels cut off, cob discarded
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper seeded and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed urfa pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 or 4 scallions chopped, for finishing
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (if using a baking sheet) or as high as it will go (if using a baking stone/steel; place the stone/steel in the oven before you start preheating).
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until it renders its fat and just begins to brown at the edges. (Be careful not to let it get crispy. Remember: It will continue cooking in the oven!) Remove the skillet from the heat and use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Reserve the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Stretch or roll out your dough to a 12-inch circle, then transfer it to an oiled baking sheet or a floured pizza peel (if using a baking stone/steel).
- Spread the sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border all around. Scatter on the bacon, corn, and bell peppers, and season with the pepper flakes. Top with the cheese.
- Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake until the crust is golden and the cheese has browned in spots, 8 to 10 minutes on the baking sheet, 6 to 8 minutes on the baking stone/steel.
- Remove the pizza from the oven. Top with the scallions; slice and serve.