Need something pretty for your hors d'oeuvre table? Tasked with bringing an app to a holiday party or potluck? This stunning holiday pizza wreath is everything you're looking for and more, filled with whipped goat cheese, fennel, and arugula, then bejeweled with fresh pomegranate seeds (arils).
There are a lot of other methods for pizza wreaths out there, but I like that this one doesn't sacrifice flavor for artistry. I mean, who has the patience to carve a pretty flower out of red bell pepper, only to have it tossed to the side when it's time to dig in? I also love that this recipe is basically a cheese pairing in disguise (goat cheese + pomegranate + honey = 😍).
Holiday Pizza Wreath FAQs
Of course! Use marinara sauce instead of the whipped goat cheese, top with thinly sliced pepperoni and/or sliced veggies, and sprinkle with shredded low-moisture mozzarella. Then, fold the dough points over the filling as described in the recipe, bake, and garnish with a little olive oil and some chopped fresh herbs.
Try sliced brie with raspberry jam or cranberry sauce/conserves. Or fill the wreath with caramelized onion, blue cheese, and figs and top with chopped fresh parsley after baking. If you're serving a crowd, make two different pizza wreaths and serve them on a large platter.
Feel free to swap out the arugula for chopped fresh spinach.
Yes! Trust me on this one. The sweetness of honey ties all the flavors together and balances the tartness of the goat cheese and the bitterness of the arugula.
The Basic Steps
Roll out a ball of dough to your usual 12 to 14-inch circle, cut an asterisk into the center, and arrange the toppings on the outside ring. Then, stretch the pointed ends of the asterisk over the toppings and press into the edges of dough to seal. Brush with olive oil and bake at 450°F for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly. When the wreath comes out of the oven, sprinkle it with fresh pomegranate seeds (arils) and drizzle it with honey.
To serve the holiday pizza wreath, transfer it to a platter or pretty cutting board and cut it into slices.
Holiday Pizza Wreath with Whipped Goat Cheese, Fennel, and Pomegranate
- Food processor or electric mixer
- Rolling Pin
- Sharp paring knife
- pastry brush
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese (chevre), crumbled
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) ball 1-Hour Pizza Dough (or store-bought pizza dough)
- ½ bulb fennel, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fennel fronds
- 1 handful baby arugula
- ¼ cup fresh pomegranate arils
- Honey, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a food processor or bowl of an electric mixer, combine the goat cheese, cream, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Process until the mixture is smooth and spreadable. (Alternatively, combine the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon or fork until smooth.)
- Roll out the dough to a 12- to 14-inch circle. Mark a circle in the center of the dough with an upside-down 6-inch bowl. Using a sharp knife, cut an "X" into the circle, rotate, then cut another "X," making an asterisk.
- Brush the ring of dough with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a grind or two of black pepper. Spread the whipped goat cheese around the circle and top with with sliced fennel. Sprinkle with the fennel fronds and scatter the arugula on top. Season with a pinch or two of salt, a grind or two of black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Stretch the center points of dough over the filling and press them into the dough edges to seal. Brush the dough with olive oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven, top with the pomegranate seeds, and drizzle with honey. Slice and serve.