Ever heard of the hangover remedy, "hair of the dog"? Well, this Thanksgiving Leftovers pizza is the Turkey day version.
I'll make this quick, and then you can succumb to that Thanksgiving-induced food coma weighting down your eyelids. What if this year, instead of the traditional day-after-Thanksgiving sandwiches, you made a Thanksgiving leftovers pizza, complete with gravy, cranberry sauce, stuffing, chopped up turkey, and creamy aged Gouda?
It's a bold move, I know . . . but hear me out. When gravy is left in the fridge, it congeals to a thick, béchamel-like texture, perfect for spreading on pizza dough, and with only one bready layer on a pizza, you won't feel quite as bad loading on the stuffing for the second day in a row.
Thanksgiving Leftovers Pizza
- Rolling pin (optional)
- Large rimmed baking sheet or baking stone/steel
- Pizza peel (optional)
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) ball pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons leftover turkey gravy
- ½ cup leftover homemade or canned cranberry sauce
- ⅔ cup leftover stuffing
- ¾ cup chopped leftover (cooked) turkey meat
- 4 ounces aged Gouda or aged cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (if using a baking sheet) or as high as it will go (if using a baking stone/steel; place the stone/steel in the bottom third of the oven before you start preheating). Let the oven preheat for at least 30 minutes. Then, if you’re using a baking stone or steel, switch the oven to Broil on high.
- Stretch or roll out your dough to a 12- to 14-inch circle, then transfer it to an oiled or parchment-lined baking sheet or a lightly floured pizza peel (if using a baking stone/steel).
- Spread the gravy evenly over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Spoon the cranberry sauce over the gravy, then sprinkle on the stuffing and turkey, and finish with the cheese.
- Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake until the crust is golden and the cheese has browned in spots—8 to 10 minutes on the baking sheet, 6 to 8 minutes on the baking stone/steel.
- Remove the pizza from the oven. Let it cool for a few minutes, then slice and serve.