Gorgonzola and fennel pizza is a study in balance. The fresh, anise flavor of fennel cuts through the richness of the creamy, stinky cheese, and prosciutto adds brininess and umami. Finally, a drizzle of chile-infused honey brings out the sweetness in each of these ingredients, tying everything together.
I discovered the hot honey–on–pizza phenomenon just short of a year ago. And now, every time I have people over for pizza, I make sure my spicy honey bear's on the table next to my other favorite finishing touches / crust dipping options (hot sauce, urfa pepper, and ranch dressing). Though it may seem like an odd addition, a light drizzle of chile-infused honey can help balance intense, salty flavors — like the Gorgonzola and prosciutto on this fennel pizza. Plus, the subtle spiciness wakes up your taste buds, helping you savor every bite.
That being said, if you don't have hot honey, feel free to finish the pizza with olive oil instead. Though it won't have that extra kick of sweet-hot flavor, it will still be delicious. I mean, who would complain about a red sauce pizza with oozy cheese, crunchy, sweet fennel, and salty prosciutto? You're welcome, stinky cheese lovers!
Fennel Pizza with Prosciutto, Gorgonzola, and Hot Honey
- 1 (14 to 16-ounce) ball pizza dough
- 2/3 cup super-easy marinara sauce
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto torn or chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 small bulb fennel very thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Gorgonzola cheese pinched into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh fennel fronds
- 1 tablespoon hot honey (chile-infused honey, such as Mike's Hot Honey), or to taste*
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (if using a baking sheet) or as high as it will go (if using a baking stone/steel; place the stone/steel in the oven before you start preheating).
- Stretch or roll out your dough to a 12-inch circle, then transfer it to an oiled baking sheet or a floured pizza peel (if using a baking stone/steel).
- Spread the marinara sauce on the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border of dough all around. Scatter on the prosciutto, then the fennel. Season with a pinch of salt and a grind or two of black pepper, and top with the Gorgonzola.
- Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake until the crust is golden and the cheese has browned in spots, 8 to 10 minutes on the baking sheet, 6 to 8 minutes on the baking stone/steel.
- Take the pizza out of the oven. Sprinkle it with the fennel fronds, then drizzle with hot honey to taste. (To prevent globs of honey, pour some honey into a small ramekin, microwave it for a few seconds or until it's liquefied, then use a fork or spoon to drizzle it onto the pizza.) Slice and serve.