Think of this blackberry pizza as a cheese plate in pizza form. The blackberry sauce is adapted from this recipe on Food52, and it's so flavorful that the only necessary additions are some crumbled feta and a garnish of chopped fresh rosemary.
Looking for more fruit pizzas? Here are a few of my other faves:
- Prosciutto and Cantaloupe Pizza
- Fresh Tomato and Peach Pizza
- Maple-Bacon Pizza with Apples and Cheddar
- Bacon and Pear Pizza with Blue Cheese and Honey
Blackberry Pizza with Rosemary and Feta Cheese
- Rolling pin (optional)
- Large rimmed baking sheet or baking stone/steel
- Pizza peel (optional)
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) ball pizza dough
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing the dough
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 500°F (if using a baking sheet) or as high as it will go (if using a baking stone/steel; place the stone/steel in the bottom third of the oven before you start preheating). Let the oven preheat for at least 30 minutes. Then, if you’re using a baking stone or steel, switch the oven to Broil on high.
- Wrap the peppercorns and rosemary sprigs in 1 layer of cheesecloth and tie it into a bundle. In a medium saucepan, combine the blackberries, honey, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Nestle the cheesecloth bundle into the mixture and place the pan over medium heat. When the mixture comes to a boil and the berries have released a considerable amount of juice, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes or until it has thickened and resembles a chunky syrup. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool to room temperature. (If you're short on time, pour the compote into a bowl and stick
- Stretch or roll out your dough to a 12- to 14-inch circle, then transfer it to an oiled or parchment-lined baking sheet or a lightly floured pizza peel (if using a baking stone/steel).
- Scoop the blackberry compote onto the dough and spread it out evenly, leaving a ½-inch border all around. Sprinkle on the feta and grind some black pepper over top. Brush the exposed dough with a little olive oil.
- Transfer the pizza to the oven and bake until the crust is golden and the cheese has browned in spots—8 to 10 minutes on the baking sheet, 6 to 8 minutes on the baking stone/steel.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes, then top with the chopped fresh rosemary; slice and serve.